Old January 22nd 06, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Leverton Nick Leverton is offline

Default Is it correct to use 999 in this case...?

In article ,
Clive wrote:
In message , Dr John Stockton
writes
At least around 1960, most London police stations were exchange 1113;
the idea is not entirely new.

When I was a boy, I frequently heard on the radio "Would X please
contact the police on Whitehall 1212 where urgent news awaits him.
What has happened to that number now

Clive Feather will probably know details, but there've been several
renumberings since those days:

WHI 1212 should have become 01 944 1212 but I'm not sure if it ever did.
At some time between the introduction of all-figure dialling, when the
alpha codes were abandoned, and PhONEyday (1990), it seems Scotland
Yard (for it is they) moved to a new number range. Certainly the 944
director ended up in 081 not 071, as you'd have expected if it was still
in WHItehall. Searching for this topic in uk.telecom suggests that it
actually became 230 1212, but I don't know when.

That would then have become 0171 230 1212 and then 020 7230 1212.

Google again for that number and I get the Metropolitan Police at New
Scotland Yard: http://www.met.police.uk/contacts/Phonenumbers.htm

QED :-) But nowhere near so memorable ...

Nick
--
So when is Tony Blair going to start treating *us* with respect ?