Old September 15th 03, 12:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Enfield to Putney - which route?

In article ,
(Martin Rich) wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 20:39:38 GMT, Steve wrote:

Personally, I'd go Enfield Lock - Tottenham Hale - Victoria - Putney
Bridge 1 hour 1 minute.

By train (note I'm reading this in uk.transport.london) wouldn't it
make more sense to stay on the Victoria Line to Vauxhall, then go to
Putney by South West Trains.

Indeed. I go that way from King's Cross to Putney where I was brought up.
I still visit my parents regularly. It's alright until i stay overnight
when there is a large fare differential between tickets valid on tube and
SWT.

Driving, I'd be inclined to skirt London to the west and go through
Cricklewood - All Souls Avenue - White City, then onto the A3220, down
North End Road and Fulham Road to Putney Bridge. (You could cross
Wandsworth Bridge and go along Putney Bridge Road as an alternative
but I don't think there's anything in it in terms of likelihood of
hitting jams).

I used to use that route driving from Cambridge to Putney via the A1/A41.
Never thought of going that far along North End Road and used to go via
Shepherd's Bush, Hammersmith Broadway and Fulham Palace Road. I gave up
because Shepherd's Bush and Hammersmith Broadway got worse and worse and
switched to the M11, A12, Tower Bridge, Elephant and Castle, Vauxhall,
Battersea Park Road and the Wandsworth one-way system. My parents live
near East Putney tube.

To get from Enfield to Cricklewood either go round the North Circular
anti-clockwise to Henly's Corner, then go through Temple Fortune and
Golders Green, or take the M25 anti-clockwise to South Mimms and then
take the A1 and the A41. The M25 approach adds some miles but would
probably be quicker than relying on the North Circular

--
Colin Rosenstiel