Old February 2nd 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Terry Morgan and longer Jubilee line trains

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Mike Bristow wrote:

In article ,
Tom Anderson wrote:

Okay, so my solution is slightly facetious, but only slightly - i don't
see how opening the right number of doors needs to be terribly
expensive.

The testing required to prove a safty-critical piece of kit would, I
expect, be larger than you think.

I realise that it would be large - i just don't think it would be large
enough to be a significant fraction of the cost of the whole seven-car
project. I could well just be being wildly over-optimistic here.

Playing devil's advocate here - how safety-critical is this? I mean, the
least safe failure mode i can think of is the door being open, which would
leave the Jubilee in a similar state to every other tube line!

But I'm prepared to admit that I don't know all that much about runnin a
railway, and could be wrong.

Same here. But playing at armchair fat controller is a common past-time
round these parts!

[1] eg run with 6 doors that open at the Stratford end of all platforms,
and lock out the car at the other end of the train. On the flag day,
run with 7 doors that open on the platforms, and ban 6-car trains.

Good idea. I did wonder why this wasn't done. Maybe because of the risk of
people getting the cars unlocked, then being unable to get out?

tom

--
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees. -- Emiliano Zapata