Old February 2nd 06, 11:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default New diagram (was: LUL gives up on Regent's Park lifts)

Mark Brader wrote:
James Farrar writes:
Other news from the new Diagram
(http://tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.pdf):

- W&C will be shut from April to October.

For which the notice for that is very awkwardly placed. Compare
Whitechapel, where the closure notice and hours notice are together
and both red. Not that the notice for Whitechapel is all that well
done either -- the way *it's* placed, it could just as well refer
to Bethnal Green. (Compare Cannon Street.)

For the two mentions of Whitechapel above, read Shoreditch.

Another thing that struck me is that the notice for Turnham Green
says that it's "also" served by Piccadilly Line trains at certain
times, yet it has a normal stud on the Piccadilly, so "also" seems
to be the wrong adverb.

Strictly true, but the alternative would be to say "Served by Piccadilly
line trains early mornings and late evenings only", which could possibly
cause some confusion over what "only" referred to. It's clearer the way
it's worded now.

Incidentally, what's the rationale for giving exact times when some
services or stations are open (Shoreditch, Woodford-Hainault,
Waterloo & City, etc.) but not others (Turnham Green (Piccadilly),
Uxbridge (Piccadilly), Whitechapel-Barking (H&C))?

Because in those last three cases there are other services readily
available, so the exact times don't matter too much.

While we're being picky, the Kennington note implies that there aren't
many off-peak trains at all on the Charing Cross branch ("most trains
run to/from Morden via the Bank branch"). It should say "most trains
to/from Morden run via the Bank branch".

--
Richard J.