Old February 3rd 06, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default why oyster?

In message , CLYDE
DEMPSTER writes
Hi

No doubt this has been asked and answered before but i have been wondering
why an oystercard is called an oystercard?

I presume (though without any justification) that it's a pun on "the
world is your Oyster", implying how far and how much you can do with
one. (Enter discussion about Pre-pay validity on NR, peripheral bus
routes and so on.......)

Why not clamcard or mollusccard?

I rather like mollusccard.

I prefer Clamcard! :-P

Seriously, I'm surprised they didn't come up with a more
"London-centric" name. CapitalCard would have been good (most people
have probably forgotten its previous incarnation now).
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk