Old February 3rd 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Douglas Steel Douglas Steel is offline

Default Fascist cyclists

Martin Underwood wrote:
I agree that a fit cyclist probably has a faster 0-15 mph time that a car
[*], but after that the car will catch him up and then, if the road isn't
wide enough to overtake, will be impeded from going any faster. Any vehicle
which cannot achieve the legal speed limit for the road (assuming it is safe
to drive at that speed) is likely to cause an obstruction and should in an
ideal world be segregated from the traffic that can achieve that speed.
Where that's not possible, the next best thing is for cyclists to keep
left - except when they want to turn right at a traffic lights, when I agree
that a cyclists' refuge ahead of the car stop line is a good thing.

A cyclist making progress along a road is *not* an obstruction by
any legal (or imho moral) definition.

There is no obligation to travel at the speed limit even if it is safe
to do so, if you want roads where cycles are not allowed then please
go and visit the nearest motorway.

The highway code does suggest that:

145: Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if
you are driving a large or slow moving vehicle. Check your
mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is
safe and let traffic pass.

That is a courtesy only, but one that I comply with when there
is a *long* queue (one or two cars doesn't count as a long queue
but I will move over if they have been behind for a significant time)
and it as safe and appropriate to pull over.

However, in heavy traffic situations I do not class myself
as a slow moving vehicle as I am generally going at least as
fast as most motorised vehicles - so if I am doing 20mph
and a car is doing 15mph what are the chances it would move
over for me ?

Share the road
Douglas