Old February 5th 06, 09:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Ronnie Clark Ronnie Clark is offline

Default "Death Line" 1972 (Film)

"Ianigsy" wrote in message
ups.com...
The Doctor Who story 'The Web of Fear' of 1968 was indeed set on the
Underground, although the BBC were quoted such a ridiculous price to
film on the actual Underground and with so many understandable strings
attached that they built their own set of a short platform which could
be redressed to represent a number of stations and a couple of sections
of tunnel (one straight and one with a junction) which were apparently
so convincing that LT believed that a film crew had broken in and
filmed without permission. The only location filming was done in the
Woolwich foot tunnel. The one surviving episode can be seen on the
'Lost in Time' DVD release and while the Underground sets are very
detailed the junction appears several times in odd places (such as
while the characters are walking from Covent Garden to Goodge Street).

I have quite literally just watched this episode, and I have to say I'm very
impressed with the set tube sets - not the "wobbly cardboard" sets for which
Doctor Who is often mis-remembered. It was only really the junction that let
it down - whilst the placement of the junction was odd, I thought the actual
trackwork was odder. No attempt was made to represent a real point and
crossing set, and it's clear that the BBC only modelled a three-rail system
(two running rails and a central current rail). At the crossings, the rails
just joined together and passed through each other rather than have any
gaps - how London Transport were fooled by this I don't know!

--
Ronnie