Old February 7th 06, 12:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,rec.arts.drwho
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN ANDREW ROBERT BREEN is offline

Default Early Doctor Who not recorded live [Was: "Death Line" 1972 (Film)

In article ,
Daniel Bowen wrote:
"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message
Given that many are written by researchers who have accessed the BBC's
files, checking and cross checking the studio dates, internal memos and so
forth. The recording schedules are in existance, the tape usages are, a
few of the early episodes transmitted from film recordings still exist in
the Film Library. The evidence is overwhelming.

I've often thought it amusing that so much paperwork is still kept in the
BBC archives about these shows, yet the shows themselves have been
lost/disposed of.

Well..

1. paper was cheaper than videotape, back then
2. there's only limited scope for re-using paper that's been written
on, whereas a wiped tape was immediately free for re-use
3. you'll need the documentation for accounting and expenses,
but you don't need the actual programme...

Taken together, I'd reckon those three factors would account for
most of the mismatch

--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Feng Shui: an ancient oriental art for extracting