Old September 16th 03, 01:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Enfield to Putney - which route?

In article ,
(Martin Rich) wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 01:57 +0100 (BST),
(Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Martin Rich) wrote:

Driving, I'd be inclined to skirt London to the west and go through
Cricklewood - All Souls Avenue - White City, then onto the A3220,
down North End Road and Fulham Road to Putney Bridge. (You could
cross Wandsworth Bridge and go along Putney Bridge Road as an
alternative but I don't think there's anything in it in terms of
likelihood of hitting jams).

I used to use that route driving from Cambridge to Putney via the
A1/A41. Never thought of going that far along North End Road and used
to go via Shepherd's Bush, Hammersmith Broadway and Fulham Palace
Road. I gave up because Shepherd's Bush and Hammersmith Broadway got
worse and worse and switched to the M11, A12, Tower Bridge, Elephant
and Castle, Vauxhall, Battersea Park Road and the Wandsworth one-way
system. My parents live near East Putney tube.

I used that route then Hammersmith Broadway until the gap at the east
end of Shepherd's Bush Green was closed sometime in the 1990s, and
would still go view Hammersmith if I were driving *from* Putney to
Cricklewood and points north. But going south, now you are forced at
Shepherd's Bush to go as far east as the roundabout at the south end
of the A3220, so you might as well go down North End Road in that
direction.

I went down the A3220 (then the A41(M) IIRC) and then round Shepherd's
Bush Green.

--
Colin Rosenstiel