Old February 13th 06, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Richard Hunt Richard Hunt is offline

Default Choc off

RPM wrote:

Most are owned by Cadbury Schweppes. They tried to persuade me to
have Coke & chocolate machines on my stations when I was a Station
Manager. I turned them down because I thought the booking office
staff had enough to deal with without fending off endless complaints
from people who lost money in the machines. Call me a cynic if you
want.

I'm surprised that discretion to have vending machines installed or
operated at stations would be devolved down to Station Manager level. I
would have expected it to be taken higher up the chain - these days
with the ROC that manages the station, or with the station's catering
providers, previously on a Regional level or by Traveller's Fare.

Back in the 1980s, all of the chocolate vending machines on railway
stations seemed to be branded Nestle. Come to think of it, I have never
seen Nestle milk chocolate, plain chocolate or Feast bars on sale over
the counter. If I recall correctly, the milk chocolate was wrapped with
waxed paper rather than foil.

Richard Hunt