Old September 16th 03, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin May Robin May is offline

Default Train Stock Question

"David Baxter" wrote the
following in:

Greetings Group,

Does someone, somewhere, have a list of what stock is used on
which lines? District line seemed to have the oldest stock on my
last visit, with the Jubilee line having the newest (or at least,
shiniest (!)) stock.

I'm not the most knowledgeable about this so don't rely on what I say
too much. I believe that sub surface line stock is referred to with a
letter and deep line stock is referred to with the date it was intedned
to be delivered or made, or put into service: it's one of the three,
I'm not sure which.

Sub surface lines:
The oldest stock is the Metropolitan (and East London) line A stock.
It's from the early 60s (1960 and 1962 I think) but it was refurbished
a few years ago so it seems more modern. The Circle, H&C and parts of
the District line use C stock, some of which is from the late 60s and
some of which is from the 70s (1976 I think) although it was all
refurbished in the early 90s. The District line uses D Stock which is
from the late 70s/early 80s. It's the only unrefurbished stock on the
Underground so in many ways it seems like the oldest, even though it's
actually the newest sub surface stock (which is why it hasn't been
refurbished yet).

Deep lines:
The oldest is the 1967 stock on the Victoria line, this also uses
automatic train operation (and has since the start of the line). The
1972 stock used on the Bakerloo line without automatic train operation
has a similar design (at least as far as how it looks) but with
different colours used inside the trains. Both the 1967 and 1972 stocks
were refurbished in the early 90s. The Piccadilly line uses 1973 stock,
and that was refurbished quite recently too. The Central line uses 1992
stock which hasn't been refurbished because it's still quite new,
although apparently it's also quite reliable. The Jubilee line uses
1996 stock although apparently it's actually an older design than the
1995 stock used on the Northern line. The 1995 and 1996 stock look
quite similar with a few differences such as some extra seating on the
95 stock and some different colours.

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
If bathroom means toilet in America, I'll have a shower please.

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.