Old September 16th 03, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Copper Wires

David Baxter wrote:
Greetings, Group.

On a recent trip to London, I happened to be looking out the windows
of a tube train on a deep level track, and noticed a pair of what
appeared to be unshielded, uninsulated copper wires, approximately 8
inches apart from each other. They were mounted above the usual
cables you see inside a tunnel, and were considerably thinner - just
think 30amp cooker cable. (At least, that's how they looked.)

They'd appear to terminate a few meters before a station. Whereas the
larger cables would appear to either go down below platform level, or
behind the advertising boards, I was unable to see how these
terminated - they simply disappeared.

Can someone cast some light on what these two wires are and do?
Also, purely out of curiosity, what -do- all those thick cables do? I
always assumed tube trains were hooked up to the power and negative
tracks.

R M S posted the following reply this morning, but on the wrong thread:

See:

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/tr...ephone%20Wires

for a description on what the window height, copper wires are for. (You may
have to copy and paste the link if it breaks into two lines)

R M S

--
Richard J.