Old September 16th 03, 09:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ed Crowley Ed Crowley is offline

Default Why do people live so far from their work?

"Michael Bell" wrote in message
People sometimes talk about NEEDING a psychological distance
between their work and their home. It might be expressed in time or
distance. Do people need time to re-adjust themselves between the
attitudes of work and the attitudes of home. If they simply need
TIME, why does it have to be in transport rather than in a waiting
room with a time-lock? Or is it the EFFORT that is the key? In that
case an enforced walk of half a mile with showers turned on a random
would give the feeling of having endured something.

As a particular exaple of this, people sometimes say "I don't
want to live just round the corner from the company in case the boss
gets into the habit of ringing up and saying 'Fred. You live just
round the corner. Can you pop round and do a little job.'". I know of
no ACTUAL CASE of such exploitation, but certainly many people say
that is the reason why they live where they are, some distance from
work. How widespread is this?

If this is true, then efforts to improve transport are a waste
of time, if you make it easier and better, people will offset it by
moving further away. Rather depressing.

This is what I have heard and seen, is it general experience?
Is there something we could or should do to change this so that people
can live nearer their work, put less burden on transport, and waste
less time?

I would love to live within walking distance of my work but unfortunately I
(and many others) can't afford to live in the City. Even if I could afford
it, there's a real lack of services (especially at the weekend) that would
mean I would have to travel anyway.