Old February 15th 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Northern Line Interchange

On 15 Feb 2006 08:07:18 -0800, "John B" wrote:

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

King Cross Thameslink is a very long trek from the Tube.
I've never taken Thameslink from London Bridge but all I can recall is a
series of LONG ramps connected by a passage.

IIRC Kentish Town is not an easy place to schlep luggage, but

ANYTHING IS EASIER THAN KINGS CROSS THAMESLINK

Eh? It's an escalator from the Northern line to the Picc concourse,
then a ramp straight to the TL station. It's a nightmare from the
Circle/Met, and it's a delight (well, almost) from the Victoria, but
I'd say it was an easier interchange than average.

To be strictly correct you have a small escalator from the Northern to
the Picc Line level. Then a walk on the flat to a staircase that you
walk up. Then you have the first ramp which levels at the top of the
stairs from the Vic Line. You then have ramp number 2 to the lower level
at Thameslink. I think you then have an escalator up to the Thameslink
platform but it may be a staircase - I can't remember what goes to the
ticket hall and what goes to the platform.

This takes 5 or 6 minutes at a quick walking pace assuming you get off
the front of the Northern Line train at Kings Cross. With luggage -
that I assume the poster can carry without having to leave it at the
bottom of stairs and then make repeat trips - I would reckon on at least
10 probably 15 minutes as all the ramps are uphill.

London Bridge, on the other hand, is horrible.

Is it? Isn't it a corridor then escalator up to Tube Ticket Hall level
then through the ticket gates? Then up another escalator to an
intermediate level opposite the ramps that lead up to the through
platforms at London Bridge main line. The other advantage at London
Bridge is that it is an accessible station so there are lifts within the
Tube Station that would get you to the Main Line concourse. You then
have to navigate the TOC gateline and corridors up to the through
platforms. A complex station I agree but there are far more lifts and
escalators and it is likely to be less busy than Kings Cross on a
Saturday evening.

Neither option is ideal as the interchange is convoluted.

I was going to suggest heading from Woodside Park to Mill Hill Broadway
by bus and then picking up Thameslink from there but that's a waste of
time because trains serving Mill Hill go to Sutton so it would mean a
change elsewhere between Thameslink trains. The same applies for Kentish
Town.

--
Paul C