Old February 18th 06, 09:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Christian Hansen Christian Hansen is offline

Default The railways over Great Suffolk Street

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:24:07 +0000 (UTC), Jim Brittin
[wake up to reply] wrote:

Not sure whether it's still there but two years ago I noted a pub name
'Fox & Hounds 1884' on a building by the junction of Great Guildford
Street and Southwark Bridge Road. At the time I discovered that this
pub was listed on a Victorian London site as being at Little Guildford
Street. Little Suffolk Street is now known as Sudrey Street.

This "pub" has been converted into a block of flats. It was never a working
pub in my experience (and I lived across the street from 1994-1998).

Did a Google on Great Suffolk St, and found this:

http://www.aaron.atte.southwerk.mcma...s/HstOblsk.htm

It was known as Dirty Lane until the beginning of the 17th century. I expect
that there was a bit of a program to spruce up the street names as that part
of Southwark (and of course the rest of the city) became more accessible as a
result of Westminster Bridge being built.
--
Chris Hansen | chrishansenhome at btinternet dot com