Old February 19th 06, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default Chingford line frequency

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 08:27:34 +0000, Paul Terry
wrote:

(Back in 1929 there was also the Chingford - North Woolwich service via
Stratford - hourly on Sundays, but very sparse on other days.)

Presumably this ran via the curve at Low Hall and ran through Lea Bridge
station?

That's right. But it was always very patchy. According to London's Local
Railways, it started in 1880 as a Walthamstow-Stratford service for
local commuters, with some trains running through to Chingford. It was
cut back to Wood Street in 1910. From 1914 it became North Woolwich to
Chingford, but was apparently summer only (it is in my Bradshaw of June
1929).

Any idea why it was hourly on Sundays but infrequent the rest of the
time? Pathing issues or just lack of demand?

I think it was primarily a Sunday leisure service for eastenders wanting
to take a day-trip to Epping Forest. There was a similar summer-only,
mainly-Sunday service from Highgate Road (later Gospel Oak) to Chingford
via Copper Mills, which ran down even faster (Easter, Whit and August
Bank Holidays only after 1926, abandoned in the 1940s).

--
Paul Terry