Old February 23rd 06, 12:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster pre-pay deposit

wrote:
I recently purchased an Oyster pre-pay card and was told that the £3
deosit was refundable. How do I go about getting the £3 refunded?

The trick (too late now) is to get a period travelcard or season on it
the first time, in which case the deposit is 0. After that you've got
your card and can put anything on it that you like.

I discovered this by accident. Also, I suspect that it isn't possible
to increase the cost of travelcards via deposits just because paper
tickets have stopped being sold, whereas for prepay, which is a new
type of ticket, they can do what they like.