Old February 24th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Chris! Chris! is offline

Default NG Admnistrator

wrote:

Do we have an administrator or moderator and if so, can that person
please do something about the constant abusive topics we seem to have
these days? It's embrarassing to scroll through the topics on screen
during my lunchtime at work.

If there is no admin, could someone volunteer? I am happy to do it
myself.

This isn't practical. The newsgroup is not centralised - you post a
message with your news provider but the message gets cascaded to other
servers. Deleting a message on one server will not delete it from the
others.

If you are using a newsreader (pine, outlook express, eudora, etc.) you
could set it to kill / delete any messages with the word "jew" in to
get rid of most of the irrelevant trolling.

If you use google groups you can report a message. This will only
(eventually) remove the message from the google archives but it will
still be on other news servers.

For more info on how newsgroups work see:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm

or

http://rfc.net/rfc850.html (discussions in 1983 about usenet)

HTH