Old February 24th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Old London street name

Paul Terry wrote:
In message .com,
writes

Can anyone tell me what happened to the Sutton Street, Lambeth
mentioned in the 1881 census? Any information appreciated. Thanks

It became renamed Sutton Walk and is still there (minus its houses) -
although now it is pretty much just a footpath leading from York Road
under the arches of the Charing Cross line towards the river (there's
a good restaurant there, called Azzurro).

It's notable in my experience for two reasons:

- the walls of the arch that takes Sutton Walk under the Charing Cross
railway line are lined with what looks like a huge life-size photo of
the original brick walls, complete with road name and other signs.
(Does anyone know whether there was a reason for doing this instead of
just cleaning and renovating the brickwork? Or was it just an artistic
statement?)
Photo at
http://london.photobloggers.org/blog...16/250370.html

- that same arch used to be the site of a large travel book sale,
masterminded by one Ronald Jordan, a "latter-day Fagin", whose supply
chain was a 15-strong gang who carried out daily raids on bookshops
across London and the south east. Jordan paid the thieves £1 per book.
See http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view.php?ArtID=815

--
Richard J.