Old February 25th 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default DLR to Charing Cross?

On 25 Feb 2006 04:54:21 -0800, "MIG"
wrote:

The March 2006 Modern Railways mentions yet another plan to extend the
DLR, this time from Bank to CX.

I'd be interested to hear what other posters think about this...

The DLR arrives at Bank facing north. There would have to be some kind
of very wide loop to point it towards Charing Cross.

Also, ISTR that every time an idea like this comes up, someone
mentions that the Bank of England's vaults are in the way of any
extension.

Also, there tend to be fairly easy routes to the Charing Cross area
from places where you can get on the DLR.

I can't see that the extension would improve access to Canary Wharf
much (which is the main DLR destination) - except, perhaps, if there's
a station at City Thameslink.

It would be both more useful and more practical to extend it north, eg
to St Pancras.

At the moment, everyone commuting to Canary Wharf from North London
converges on Bank (to change to the DLR there), which can't, I
imagine, be very sustainable. So a northward DLR extension might be
useful in the medium term.

But Crossrail will solve this in the long term (with TL2k feeding into
it at Farringdon from the KX/StP lines). Though I suppose a good link
from Euston to Canary Wharf would still be useful.