Old February 26th 06, 12:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MartyJ MartyJ is offline

Default DLR to Charing Cross?

Personally if i was to extend the DLR, I would divert it via
Blackfriars and then onto Waterloo(taking over the Waterloo and City
line branch platform). From Waterloo I would then go via Lambeth Bridge
and Horseferry Road to Victoria. If I went further the Victoria, I
would look at going via Hyde Park Corner, Marble Arch onto Paddington
and then take over the Hammersmith and City line to Hammersmith. Very
ambitious scheme??, yes but it would be a fraction of what crossrail
would cost and patronage would be high (probably too high!)

More seriously some sense exists in going toCharing with maybe stations
at City Thameslink, Aldwych and Charing Cross. It would create
effectively another cross London link and help relieve the Central and
District. The cost would be a fraction of what Crossrail would cost and
would further improve links to the east.

A DLR extension should be considered bearing in mind the considerable
expansion of the system the relatively cheap cost's of expansion and
the benefits it can potentially bring. When Crossrail hits the buffers
which this present scheme will serious consideration should be given to
alternatives.