Old February 26th 06, 11:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Aidan Stanger Aidan Stanger is offline

Default DLR to Charing Cross?

MartyJ wrote:

Personally if i was to extend the DLR, I would divert it via
Blackfriars and then onto Waterloo(taking over the Waterloo and City
line branch platform). From Waterloo I would then go via Lambeth Bridge
and Horseferry Road to Victoria. If I went further the Victoria, I
would look at going via Hyde Park Corner, Marble Arch onto Paddington
and then take over the Hammersmith and City line to Hammersmith. Very
ambitious scheme??, yes but it would be a fraction of what crossrail
would cost and patronage would be high (probably too high!)

Certainly too high! The DLR is very crowded at Bank as it is - why would
you want to extend it further?

Also, wouldn't it be better just to extend the W&C westwards and not
worry about a costly connection with the DLR?

More seriously some sense exists in going toCharing with maybe stations
at City Thameslink, Aldwych and Charing Cross.

I've previously considered that route for light rail (though rather than
DLR I was thinking of a tunnelled central section for various E-W tram
lines) but eventually I concluded that the loading gauge of the section
already tunnelled is just too small. I think it would be even worse for
DLR trains.

It would create effectively another cross London link and help relieve the
Central and District. The cost would be a fraction of what Crossrail would
cost and would further improve links to the east.

A boat service on the Thames would be far more effective in that
objective, as well as being considerably cheaper.

A DLR extension should be considered bearing in mind the considerable
expansion of the system the relatively cheap cost's of expansion and
the benefits it can potentially bring. When Crossrail hits the buffers
which this present scheme will serious consideration should be given to
alternatives.

But the best alternative is a cheaper form of Crossrail: see my website.

--
Aidan Stanger
http://www.bettercrossrail.co.uk