Old March 1st 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Fares from Kensington Olympia to Wimbledon

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 09:58:22 +0000, Barry Salter
wrote:

Thanks for all the other info.

Train Tube Fares

Train Tube Standard and First Class Single/Day Return fares are
available for journeys wholly within the London Fare Zones Area. Tickets
are valid for one single or return journey between the origin station
and a National Rail, LU or DLR station within the zones for which the
ticket is issued. Tickets are priced according to the number of zones
entered or crossed and unless specifically shown, are routed 'Any
Permitted' and are valid on any National Rail, LU or DLR service.

Train Tube tickets are valid for all the zones through which travel will
be made, irrespective of the mode used. For example a ticket for a
journey between Selhurst (Zone 4) and Warren Street (Zone 1) will be
issued 'Selhurst to U1234', and is valid for transfer to Underground
services at any interchange on the line of route, i.e. Balham, London
Victoria, or Vauxhall/London Waterloo via Clapham Junction.

Well I've certainly learnt something new from reading that.

Would I be correct in assuming that this arrangement does not work in
reverse? e.g. you cannot buy a Warren St to Selhurst 4 zone train tube
ticket? I am not aware that we have suddenly gone zonal on through
tickets in the London area - I thought we still had individually priced
destinations with limited interchange / routing options. If you are
able to clarify I'd be very grateful.

snip

Local journeys between stations jointly served by National Rail and
London Underground services

In the case of of certain local journeys, where both the origin and
destination station are designated 'joint' stations, tickets are
regarded as LU issues and priced accordingly. Local instructions are
issued in these circumstances.

I recently had to travel from West Brompton to Walthamstow Central. Now
that can either be wholly on the tube or else I could toddle along
various bits of Silverlink (WLL, NLL, GOBLIN) to Blackhorse Rd and
change - mad I know but I fancied an above ground trip. Upon enquiring
at West Brompton the poor clerk could not find a fare for a station
beyond Willesden Junction. In the end I went by tube as I hate having to
rebook mid journey - especially at a nightmare place like Willesden
Junction.

While I know UTS can be notoriously limited in its range of NR
destinations it sounds to me that the above explanation would imply that
my journey could be covered by a LU ticket for zones 234 [1]. Are you
able to confirm that?

[1] I am obviously assuming that both West Brompton and Walthamstow
Central fall into the "joint station" category.

--
Paul C