Old September 17th 03, 05:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default Stratford Eurostar station.

In message , Paul
Weaver writes

Of course, is the tunnel really used as much as it should be?

Eurostar is just one of four companies using the tunnel - the Shuttle
also uses it for a frequent service (four trains an hour in each
direction at peak times), and EWS and SNCF run international freight
services through it, mainly during the night.

I suspect it may well be approaching capacity as EuroTunnel say they
have submitted a proposal for a second tunnel.

Where are overnight through trains to Italy and Germany?

I doubt there would ever be much demand for Italy - sleeper services are
costly to run, and 24 hours on the train compares badly with a 2-hour
cheap flight.

(Preferably at Italian prices - 10p per mile for an overnight
couchette).

Italian rail prices are indeed excellent, but even at 10p a mile London
to Rome would be much more than I normally pay for a flight!

--
Paul Terry