Old March 3rd 06, 08:39 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Chiltern franchise aspirations

In message
Tom Anderson wrote:

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Graeme Wall wrote:

In message . com
"John B" wrote:

Aidan Stanger wrote:

And a new/relaid line from Princes Risborough to Oxford.

will never happen, as it would require too many disruptive
alterations to the M40 at Junction 8.

Why would it require any at all? Surely it could just bridge it?

That would be the cause of the disruptive alterations. It's generally
frowned upon to build a new bridge over an operating motorway...

Easy enough, prefabricate the thing alongside, close the road overnight
and swing the thing into position when ready.

I'd hesitate to say it's that simple - things on that scale never are -
but then that's not so far from what they did with the Bishops Bridge at
Paddington:

http://www.paddingtonbridge.com/view...ion/index.html

Love the whip pans at the start!

Not exactly rocket science.

No, civil engineering - much harder!

But something civil engineers have been doing for decades. I agree that
rocket science is easy, it's rocket technology that's complicated.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.