Old March 3rd 06, 02:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default "Deckers"

[Prompted by this from Neil Williams on the Bendy buses thread:
"To apply the question to London, then - yes, long-distance routes are
better with deckers."]

When and why did this use of "deckers" to mean double-deckers originate?
I had never heard or seen it until I read it on this NG a few years ago.
It's not in my dictionary either.

There are single-decker buses and double-decker buses. There would have
been some logic in using "doubles" for the latter, but to use the word
that is common to both terms to mean one of them is just silly.
--
Richard J.