Old March 3rd 06, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Smith Martin Smith is offline

Default Bendy buses

On 3 Mar 2006 10:04:41 -0800,
wrote:
I actually quite like the bendy buses. They're very quick to board and
get off.
No crowding around the single narrow doorway with people half falling
down the stairs like you get on a double decker.

Totally agree - I can't help feeling that most people who so vehently
object to them don't actually use buses that regularly. I use the 207
most days and the reduced dwell time at stops really makes a big
difference to the timing of the journey.

I do wonder how much of the non-payment thing is mythology. I have seen
inspectors go through the bus on numerous occasions in the last few
months and everybody has always had a ticket (and, yes, I realise that
all the evaders could have jumped off, but it didn't seem to be the
case).

I got on a 436 in Rye Lane Peckham a couple of saturdays ago heading for
the Oval, two stops further along there was a crowd of rpi's and police
waiting, they boarded the bus and more than a dozen people were taken off.
There was a similar crowd at New Cross Garage a few days later, probably
also waiting for a 436.
So not everybody rides for free...

--
Martin Smith