Old March 5th 06, 01:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
4sub 4sub is offline

Default DLR "cab rides"

"Pyromancer" wrote in message
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Ken Ward
gently breathed:
"Clive R Robertson" wrote in message
. ..
The final two videos have now been put on Google Video. These a

From Tower Gateway to Beckton:

From Canary Wharf to Stratford:

Another superb contibution to us Up t'North.

Thanks from me too, great fun! Exploring the many new bits of the DLR
that have been added since I last did it in the 90s is definetly on the
agenda this year.

At one point, not far from Stratford, there are a couple of track
workers on the NR lines. Needless to say the DLR train, being driven by
a computer, doesn't hoot at them. I assume there's a fence between the
DLR and NR tracks, but what's the official policy on driverless trains?
Is all red-zone track work on DLR lines forbidden while they are
operating, or is there a facility for a train captain to take manual
control if passing a work site, and the train to stop if he/she doesn't?

--
- DJ Pyromancer, The Sunday Goth Social, Leeds. http://www.sheepish.net

Broadband, Dialup, Domains = http://www.wytches.net = The UK's Pagan
ISP!
http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk
http://www.revival.stormshadow.com

Description of the DLR system

The DLR works automatically without lineside signals, using Driverless
trains which approach in either direction travelling at a maximum speed of
50 m.p.h. Each train conveys a member of DLR staff called a 'Train Captain'.
DLR trains will not sound an audible warning to persons on or near the line
and employees on or near Network Rail lines must not, therefore, except in
emergency, go onto the DLR. If employees called by the Signaller to work on
the line consider that they cannot work safely with trains running on the
adjoining DLR line, they must not commence work until an assurance has been
received from the Signaller that DLR trains have been stopped. If an
emergency/mishap occurs on Network Rail lines that requires the stopping of
DLR trains, then one of the emergency stop buttons must be pressed. These
buttons are coloured red, in red cases with a clear perspex cover, located
on posts a metre high. They are situated between the Network Rail and DLR
lines at approximately 100 metre intervals.