Old March 8th 06, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london
Nigel Pendse Nigel Pendse is offline

Default What's this green thing at London City Airport?

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

In message
"Richard J." wrote:

What makes you think it's moving?

I was going to ask that, there are two stationary ones south of
terminal 4.

Ah, found it, there's one just off runway 23 at the north end. Seems
an odd place to be, given it is not on the runway itself but on the
'hard shoulder'. 27R appears to be the landing runway, given there's
an aircraft taking off from 27L. On the other hand there appears to
be a queue of 5 aircraft in two lines heading for 27R

The Concorde (G-BOAB) alongside Runway 23 is permanently parked there,
and I always look out for it when taking off from 27R. It's one of the
older Concordes and was already grounded (ie, effectively retired) when
Concorde was retired, which is why it stayed at Heathrow. I'm not sure
if they still plan to move it to somewhere in or by Terminal 5 when it's
finished.

See
http://www.extrospection.com/archive...parked_at.html

As for planes taking off and landing on the runways, remember that
Google uses composite images which could easily show both 27R and 27L as
takeoff runways, if one was taken in the morning and the other in the
afternoon, even on the same day. Indeed, it would be perfectly possible
for the same aircraft to be shown several times at Heathrow.