Old March 8th 06, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london
Nigel Pendse Nigel Pendse is offline

Default What's this green thing at London City Airport?

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

Can't say I've ever noticed it but the last few times I've flown out
of Heathrow have been at night. Strange they've parked it close to
an active runway, even if it doesn't get used very often.

23 is no longer an active runway, or they couldn't have parked G-BOAB on
the 'hard shoulder'.

It's been a few years since that runway was last used -- I live near the
flight path for it, and I can't remember when I last heard a plane on
that route (it was always when there were strong cross winds). I last
landed on it about four years ago, and as I recall, it was a very
"lively" ride down.

I don't think that runway is likely ever to be returned to use, as the
proposed extended Heathrow East terminal will be built right over it,
just as T3 covers one of the other original runways (in its early days,
Heathrow had the standard RAF six runway pattern).