Old March 8th 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london
Terry Harper Terry Harper is offline

Default What's this green thing at London City Airport?

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 15:52:58 +0000, John Wright
wrote:

I would not have said there was a standard, at least two ex-RAF
airfields that I know of have all three runways intersecting at one
point - Harwell in Oxfordshire and Dalcross near Inverness.

If there is a standard it would be three runways not six - the
original 1944 format of Heathrow was three runways later extended to
six in a star of David formation.

The usual RAF pattern was to have a 2000 yard runway roughly into the
prevailing wind, often 25/07, and two other shorter runways at about
60 degree intervals, depending on the available land and the contours.
Worksop had only two, 28/10 and 01/19 (I think) at right angles. The
short one (01/19) was only used by the Meteors in very strong winds,
or else they had to do short take-offs.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society