Old September 17th 03, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew Malthouse Matthew Malthouse is offline

Default Stratford Eurostar station.

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 06:38:13 +0100 Paul Terry wrote:
}
} Where are overnight through trains to Italy and Germany?
}
} I doubt there would ever be much demand for Italy - sleeper services are
} costly to run, and 24 hours on the train compares badly with a 2-hour
} cheap flight.
}
} (Preferably at Italian prices - 10p per mile for an overnight
} couchette).
}
} Italian rail prices are indeed excellent, but even at 10p a mile London
} to Rome would be much more than I normally pay for a flight!

Earlier this year I had to get from Paris to London to Siena in about 18
hours.

Although I didn't use the option I did consider cutting out the London
bit and discovered that I could get from Paris to Pisa for eur 80.

Just how far could one travel in the UK with a standard second class
open return costing fifty quid?

Matthew
--
Záhid sharáb píné dé, masjid mein baith kar
ya woh jagah batá dé jahán Khudá na ho.