Old March 10th 06, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Tube/Bus system and Oyster card

jimstevens wrote:
I have read some of the old items on Oyster card and believ I
understand it.

On upcoming 10 day visit I assume it is best deal to travel daily in
Tube and Bus sytem in London.

Yes, Oyster is best. Oyster pre-pay is I assume what you're referring
to, although if you're likely to average more than £4 a day (ie 2 zone
1 Tube fares or 4 bus journeys), you might do better to get a 7-day
travelcard (also on Oyster) for 7 of the 10 days.

We will rent car for three days and drive around outside London but
otherwise plan to use Tube most of time including trip from Heathrow
upon arrival.

However, if your car rental would be in the middle of your trip, then
ignore the travelcard advice - you can't split your 7-day travelcard in
the middle (sadly!).

Couple questions. We are staying in Bayswater and will probably only
be traveling in downtown Tourist type areas most of time after we get
from airport.

Is the card really best way to go? Just arrive and get one at
Heathrow? I don't mind losing the card deposit.

Yes, you can get one at Heathrow tube station.

How do we pay after initial purchase? Do we just add to it with
credit card at any station?

Yes. Or you can use cash at the station if you prefer, or you can top
it up in a corner shop/neighborhood shop using cash or card.

Anything else we should consider.

National Rail is the only other concern. Oyster pre-pay is not valid on
all National Rail services (but is valid on some), so if you get a
National Rail train then you should check at the station whether Oyster
pre-pay is valid for your journey or whether you'll need to buy a paper
ticket.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org