Old March 10th 06, 04:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Matt Wheeler Matt Wheeler is offline

Default Chiltern franchise aspirations

"John B" wrote in message
oups.com...
Marratxi wrote:
Why would it require any at all? Surely it could just bridge
it?

That would be the cause of the disruptive alterations. It's
generally
frowned upon to build a new bridge over an operating motorway...

--

They did it with CTRL and the QE2 bridge so why not elsewhere ?

In case I wasn't clear above, I meant "over a motorway without
closing
the motorway for the duration of the bridge-building".

Except the QE2 bridge doesn't go over a motorway... and the CTRL runs
under the bridge, not over it.
I'm not sure if the CTRL is over the road or before the tunnel mouth
(going north bound on A282.

Obviously you
can build a bridge over a motorway, but you can't do it without
disrupting traffic, which is what the original "why would it require
any at all" question was about.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org