Old March 10th 06, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
g.harman g.harman is offline

Default Waterloo This Afternoon

On 10 Mar 2006 06:12:29 -0800, wrote:

I arrived at Bank at around 18:30, and the whiteboard advised SWT
passengers to travel via tube to Wimbledon or Richmond. Apparently
things had started moving again at 18:07 though, and I got to stand on
the platform at Wimbledon an hour later watching trains that I could
have caught had the information been up to date, or even accurately
mentioning that Clapham Junction was still open, running straight
through.

It got me thinking, wouldn't it be a good investment by TFL to replace
all those whiteboards with centrally controlled electronic signboards
that do not rely on chinese whispers for the information to get to the
station staff, and do not rely on staff, who are probably overworked by
this stage answering questions from desparate commuters, having the
time to keep them up to date? I have seen some electronic versions so
maybe this is already happening, but I'm not sure if they're centrally
controlled.

And what happens when the centrally controlled electronic system gets
put out of action by some power failure or control malfunction.
Nip up to the nearest officeworld to buy up the stock of
whiteboards I suppose.

G.Harman