Old March 10th 06, 10:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default BAA to build ULTra PRT in Heathrow

Marratxi wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 11:09:23 on Fri,
10 Mar 2006, John Rowland
remarked:
Old news, but I don't recall reading it here...
http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/n...ws/2005/10/20/
npods20.xml

18 pods, 25mph, two miles of track... I make that 12 times round the
track per hour per pod, or 3 per minute; perhaps well able to achieve
the 1 minute waiting time.
A bigger puzzle is how they will get to T1 from the far side of the
runways where the "perimeter" car park presumably is - will it be taking
over one of the existing road tunnels?
--

I thought the article said it would use one of the service tunnels alongside
the main road access tunnel. I should have thought a few more buses would

Buses don't quite have the near-on-demand characteristics of Ultra,
without running an awful lot of them! In theory, Ultra should also be
cheaper to operate.

Personally, I think it's an excellent testing ground for the technology
(rather than plonking them into the centre of Cardiff before they have
been tried out on a larger operation than the test site).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7