Old March 11th 06, 11:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default BAA to build ULTra PRT in Heathrow

In message , at 12:01:42 on Sat, 11 Mar
2006, Paul Terry remarked:
Are those the tunnels that are currently used by taxis, and have a
in addition to those?

It looks like it. A proposed route is shown on page 3 of ...

http://www.atsltd.co.uk/media/casest...se_studies.pdf

Page 4 shows (somewhat surprisingly) that it is possible to fit four
people-mover tracks inside one service tunnel -

I'm astonished that there's so much room! Must have a better look next
time I'm there. All I remember is the loading gauge and a general
feeling of claustrophobia when approaching even in a car, that made me
choose the main tunnel instead.

although it doesn't explain what will be done with the displaced taxi
traffic!

It's always a bit sad when a scheme mentions the benefits (fewer buses)
and omits the drawbacks (more taxis in the central bores). Makes you
wonder what else they "forgot" to mention...