Old September 17th 03, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Weaver Paul Weaver is offline

Default Stratford Eurostar station.

Paul Terry wrote in message ...
Italian rail prices are indeed excellent, but even at 10p a mile London
to Rome would be much more than I normally pay for a flight!

True, but planes still take a long time. Hour from center of london to
luton/stanstead, 2 hours at the airport, 2 hours on the plane (maybe
longon), another 30 minutes waiting for luggage, another hour waiting
for the bus and transfer to the center of rome. Already over 6 hours,
and you dont get enough time to sleep. A nice relaxed train ride gives
you room to stretch your legs, face to face meeting, mobile phone,
laptop (with power), a good nights sleep etc. Leave London at 4PM,
arrive in Milan at 10AM the next morning haveing had a relaxing
evening and a good sleep. Compare to flight - get up at 3AM, get to
airport by 4, flight leaves at 6 (UK), land at 9(CET), into middle of
milan by 10 at the earliest.

Cheapest route to greece for me, last month, was rough it in stanstead
overnight, easyjet to rome, day in rome, overnight to brindisi, ferry
to igominitza. £100 one way, but beat £250 to athens and an 8 hour bus
ride.