Old March 12th 06, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default best route

Ian F. wrote:
"DrTeeth" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi, I will be getting the Heathrow Express on Sunday evening
(8ish) to Paddington and then need to travel onwards to the
Holiday Inn Express Old Street, near Old Street underground
station. Can you advise the best route and approx time/cost of a
taxi?

The Transport for London Journey Planner
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/ suggests taking the London
Underground Circle Line from Paddington to Kings Cross and then
Northern Line to Old Street, with a journey time of (a very
optimistic) 19 minutes. I'd say 30 minutes is more likely.

That may be the case normally, but (assuming the OP means next Sunday 19
March), the Journey Planner is not showing any routes that involve a
Circle Line train to Kings Cross. It evidently thinks that this stretch
of line is closed for engineering work, as it was on 11/12 March, but
this doesn't match other information on the TfL site.

However, the 205 bus runs from Paddington directly to Old Street
station. On Sundays, the frequency is about every 12 minutes, and the
journey should take about 25 minutes (timetable) or 40 minutes (Journey
Planner estimate). Last bus at 00:26.

According to the Journey Planner, the bus departs from stop H. Take the
exit from the station opposite platform 8, go up the slope, turn left at
the top (Praed Street) and walk about 50 yards to bus stop H.

--
Richard J.