Old September 17th 03, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.legal
HP HP is offline

Default Private roads

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've seen a lot of signs recently declaring roads to be private. What does
this mean? Am I allowed to drive down it? If I crash or kill someone, will
the outcome be different to the outcome on a public road?

I have also seen signs, particularly guarding the car parks of small
pretentious blocks of flats, saying "No Turning". Has anyone ever been
prosecuted for turning their car on a road so marked?

While I was using a private shortcut which serves the numerous car repair
garages which occupy the arches of the Piccadilly Line viaduct in South
Harrow, a big van containing three men whizzed onto my side of the road to
pass a parked car blocking their side of the road. Judging by the smug

look
on the drivers face, he presumed that my little Kia Pride (which looks a

lot
like a Nissan Micra) would stop and let them through. He was wrong, and we
met face to face at the narrow part. After about half a minute of my
legendary stare he reversed and I got through the gap. Afterwards I

wondered
who had been in the right - if they worked at or owned one of the garages,
did they have priority over me? But then again, they might have just been
using it as a shortcut, like me. It doesn't seem possible that priority
would depend on something which is so difficult to ascertain. Or is there

no
legally defined "right side of the road" on a private road?

On that particular private road, I think there must be some form of
acknowledged right of way for the public.
I used to live in that area and have been using that alley for almost twenty
years without any complaints.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped