Old March 15th 06, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default CONGESTION CHARGE

In message , Steve
writes

Can I correct you on the "Even if just parked" comment.

You can try, but I don't think you'll succeed.

That is actually quite misleading and something TFL have never properly
corrected. Sure, if you come into the zone and park then you would need to
pay. But if the car is parked all the time between 7am and 6.30pm then there
is NO charge. You are only charged if the vehicle is in motion in the zone
in the time.

So how does that square with the following statement on the TfL site
(notice that it is "or parked" - not "and parked")?

If you have driven or parked on a public road in the charging
zone during charging hours and haven't paid the Congestion
Charge by midnight on the day of travel, your vehicle will be
identified by the cameras and you will be sent a Penalty Charge
Notice.

I am a resident

Ah !!!

as long as the car is parked and not moving during the day
I don't have to pay.

Yes, but that's a special concession for you lucky old residents - it
doesn't apply to the rest of us! To quote TfL on residents:

If you park in a resident's parking bay in your local parking
zone, or off-street inside the charging zone, and don't move
your car during the hours of operation, you don't need to pay
the charge.

As I say, that's a resident's perk. If you are not a resident you are
liable to pay the charge if the car is parked on a public road during
the charging period, even though it hasn't moved.

--
Paul Terry