Old March 15th 06, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Steve is offline

Default CONGESTION CHARGE

Why would these CC people be placing fines on the cars. How do they know
that the owner of the car
isn't going to pay before 10pm as they are allowed to do?

"James" wrote in message
. uk...
I work in the congestion zone and regularly see congestion charge wardens
walking round taking down the reg numbers of parked cars. The wear high vis
coats so mabye confused with traffic wardens. They have the congestion
charge logo as the badge on there hats. They carry electronic ticket
machines and place fines on cars.

James

"Steve" wrote in message
Ok, I stand corrected, either it's been changed or I have been wrongly
informed by TFL on at least 10 occasions since the charge was introduced.
However, that now implies that as well as the cameras, there must be
someone, presumably on foot or moped who is running around taking down
the number plates of all parked vehicles just in case. And I don't think
that happens as it would not be cost effective, (not that cost
effectivness seems to make any sense with TFL)
As I see it, the cameras are at the entrance to the zones and on the
mobiles van units, (which don't record numbers unless they are parked,
and therefore only monitoring moving vehicles.) I've certainly never seen
anyone taking down numbers of cars parked on meters/pay display etc.
(unless you count trafic wardens and they certainly dont feed car reg
info back to TFL)

wrote in message
oups.com...

Steve wrote:
Can I correct you on the "Even if just parked" comment.
That is actually quite misleading and something TFL have never properly
corrected. Sure, if you come into the zone and park then you would need
pay. But if the car is parked all the time between 7am and 6.30pm then
there
is NO charge. You are only charged if the vehicle is in motion in the
zone
in the time. I am a resident and despite the only concession that I get
90% discount (but having to pay for 5 days at a time which therefore
encourages me to use it more had I only wanted to use it 1 day, but
that's
another story) , as long as the car is parked and not moving during the
day
I don't have to pay. My local plumber tends to come in early and park
up
where he will be working for the day, as long as he doesnt leave until
6.30
he's doesnt need to pay. They certainly dont come round and take notes
of
all the cars that are stationery, but there are mobile cameras on vans
that
photograph moving vehicles.

Can I correct your correction? The questions and answers section
clearly says that even parked cars have to pay, unless they are in a
resident's parking place or off road.

see the following long link,

https://tfl-cc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tfl_cc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=Zq7kxy2i&p_lva=&p_faqid=1727

or goto www.cclondon.com and search for parked in the questions and
answers section, the 4th answer gives the details