Old March 17th 06, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] Mait001@aol.com is offline

Default Shepherd's Bush WLL station

Paul,

Thanks for your detailed and interesting reply.

Two things emerge.

Firstly, although St. George in all of their rhetoric of the mid-1990s
about "funding a new station" did not, as far as I can recall, mention
anything about a cap. In any event, it was, I suppose, naive of me to
believe anything they said. I remember standing up at a public meeting
and predicting that the station would NEVER be built and, even if it
was, it would hardly have any effect on the extra car traffic that
would be generated, being on a line with a (then) twice-hourly service
between two stations that were hardly likely to be greatly used by City
commuter traffic.

Secondly, presumably, the "capped" £1.7 million from St. George would
have been sufficient to build the station had they done so 7 or 8 years
ago when that figure first arose. It is hardly surprising that the
costs have increased significantly since then. I am not for one moment
defending St. George (I opposed their scheme then and still think it is
an appalling blot on the landscape - far too many houses crammed into a
small and inaccessible area) but to be fair to them, I think they
genuinely wanted to have a railway station there, and I cannot see how
the long delay has benefited them at all. Which leads me to conclude
that there must be some truth in their protestations at the time that
Railtrack were dragging their heels in allowing the station to be
built.

As revealed in the material you have quoted, it now seems that the
costs have so escalated that Circadian are now involved. Which really
is a scandalous dereliction of duty by Hammersmith & Fulham Council
whose planning consent was given on condition that the railway station
was built BEFORE phase 2 of the Imperial Wharf scheme was started!

With years like 2010 now being quoted, not only will Imperial Wharf be
complete but the Circadian nightmare will probably be complete long
before the railway station is built.

So, come on Adam Gray and others if you are reading this: do you
remember me predicting that there would never be a railway station at
Imperial Wharf. I'd say the jury was still very much out on that one
wouldn't you?!

Marc.