Old September 17th 03, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Stratford Eurostar station.

On 16 Sep 2003 15:37:09 -0700, (Paul Weaver)
wrote:

Often wondered about similar routes - the transpennine from manchester
to liverpool stops at oxford road as well as piccadilly. If anything
it should stop at deansgate, a metrolink interchange (saving 20
minutes off a journey to altrincham or eccles from liverpool or
warrington).

A cynic might say it'd make more sense to stop all trains using the
link line (or whatever it's called) at all three stations, as most of
them end up stopping at Deansgate for a signal check anyway...

I suspect, though, that the theory is that Oxford Road has 5 platforms
and Deansgate 2, so there's more room to take up slack in the event of
delays - and Oxford Road is closer to much of the city centre and of
course the Uni (as well as being the interchange for the busy (1)42/3
bus route).

Also, it's not a huge walk from Oxford Road to St Peter's Square
Metrolink if you want to use the tram (though it's not a proper
interchange, I agree).

As an aside, at one point, I believe there was talk of building a
Cornbrook Interchange station on the main line for Metrolink - but
that seems to have died a death.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.