Old September 17th 03, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.legal
Matthew Malthouse Matthew Malthouse is offline

Default Private roads

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:52:47 +0100 nightjar wrote:
}
} "The Todal" wrote in message
} ...
}
} "John Rowland" wrote in message
} ...
} Hi all,
}
} I've seen a lot of signs recently declaring roads to be private. What
} does
} this mean?
}
} It means that it is not adopted as a public highway by the local highway
} authority (usually the local council) but is owned by the residents or the
} freehold owner of the land where the houses have been built.
}
} Presumably it also means that a right of way will not be established by
} people using the road.

It would.

I used to live in deepest Suffolk and once a year the road (well, more
track) was temporarily gated and locked for a day expressly so as not to
create a public right of way. It was occasionally difficult to persuade
the men on the gates that as a resident I was not a member of the public
for their purposes.

Matthew
--
Záhid sharáb píné dé, masjid mein baith kar
ya woh jagah batá dé jahán Khudá na ho.