Old March 24th 06, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Anti-bike signs on Bendibuses

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Martin Underwood) wrote:

The cyclist shouldn't *be* on the nearside of the vehicle when it
is indicating to turn left. As a car driver I usually pull close
to the kerb when I'm turning left if I've just overtaken a
cyclist, so as to block him making this dangerous manouvre; as a
cyclist I never overtake anything on the driver's blind side!

Other way round IME. The vehicle turning left should not overtake
the cyclist to do so.

Yes, that's Highway Code rule 158.

Worse, they can't even see what they are doing. Any vehicle like
that should not be allowed on the roads.

I assume you mean that once the driver starts a turn, he can't see
all of the vehicle in his mirrors. In what way is a bendy bus
different from an articulated lorry in that regard, or would you ban
all of them too?

Like railway practices and designs found to be dangerous I would require
changes to overcome the safety defects. Most railway lines had to be
fitted with TPWS to prevent SPADs and bufferstop collisions and all the
Mark I rolling stock had to be withdrawn from service within quite a
short time because it wasn't crashworthy enough, for example.

--
Colin Rosenstiel