Old March 25th 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster travelcards on Bendibuses

asdf wrote:
On 23 Mar 2006 13:12:46 -0800, "MIG"
wrote:

Furthermore, if an inspector came on and you hadn't beeped to get through
the barriers on your original station, would his handheld device not query
it and could he not suggest you are trying to come from a zone further out?

If you hadn't touched in, you'd only be in trouble if caught
travelling out of zone.

So, even if you clearly have valid tickets for the whole of the journey
you are most likely to have made, you are in trouble, purely because of
Oyster.

Because of Oyster? Exactly the same thing would happen if you did the
same with a paper Travelcard season.

The equivalent valid paper tickets would be my travelcard and an
extension ticket, which would not get me in trouble, regardless of what
I did with my travelcard at the start of my journey, or whether I'd
sneaked to zone 6 in the meantime. (And why can't there just be an
old-fashioned excess fare window anyway?)

Having valid tickets for your whole journey but still risking being
penalty-fared is an artefact of Oyster.

I don't think I'd touch at an open gate.

It's a requirement for using pre-pay that you always touch in and out,
even if the gates are open. It's certainly publicised well enough.

If you can't manage it, I suggest you don't try to use pre-pay,
otherwise you're leaving yourself wide open to being penalty fared or
worse.

But I was talking about touching in at a station where I had a valid
travelcard. I wouln't be using prepay (yet).