Old March 25th 06, 11:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Anti-bike signs on Bendibuses

In article ,
(tim \(in sweden\)) wrote:

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message
In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

Two Cambridge accidents in the last few months in which cyclists
were killed by drivers who claim not to have seen them on their
nearsides. The lorries were turning left, one on a roundabout at
Addenbrooke's Hospital, the other at a T junction off a main road
with a cycle lane on the nearside.

There is no question in my mind that both drivers should have seen
the cyclists and if they couldn't then their vehicles were defective
and should not be allowed on the roads nor should similar vehicles
unless modified.

They could just have easily not seen the cyclist if their vehicle was
perfectly equipped for the job, because they didn't look.

Unless they had have just overtaken a cyclist they have no reason to
look, because they are perfectly entitled to assume that a cyclist
hasn't been stupid enough to put them self in this position.

It isn't just the lorry at fault here

As far as we can tell the lorries in both cases had just overtaken the
cyclists. In one case because there is a cycle lane.

--
Colin Rosenstiel