Old March 26th 06, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] bluestarpete@googlemail.com is offline

Default Kings Cross Shut - Thursday

Now I know there are risks associated with full platforms,
but they can't be as bad as shoving hundreds of bewildered
tourists & commuters out onto the Marylebone road :-)

Euston Road is an area from which people can easily escape if they
begin to get crushed (either into Kings Cross mainline, either way
along the road or into a side street). On the deep-level tube platforms
this is not the case -- if the number of people down there isn't
regulated then it could easily lead to someone falling or being
accidentally pushed onto the tracks.

Whoever cooked this idea up should see the misery of lost
tourists with suitcases and mothers with young children.

What's worse -- the 'misery' of being lost (and only lost until you ask
a member of staff for directions, at that) or the misery of seeing that
young child go under a train?

Can I make a plea that London Transport trust the public
to behave sensibly on full platforms and please shut
stations as a last resort ?!

London Underground can't trust people to behave sensibly on full or
busy platforms because people prove every working day that they can't
be trusted to do it. I'm sure we've all seen people refuse to pass down
the platform, block entrances and exits in large groups and do other
things to endanger safety. I doubt I am the only one who is amazed by
the people who, upon seeing that a station is closed for an emergency
try to argue their way past the staff and into the station so that they
can continue their journey.

Can I make a plea to members of the public to trust London Underground
to use their experience to keep people safe, even if they sometimes err
on the side of caution and sometimes you can't understand why they are
doing what they are doing?

Pete