Old March 26th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default Anti-bike signs on Bendibuses

Martin Underwood wrote:

Colin McKenzie wrote in
This is a classic case of the difference between what vulnerable road
users are advised to do and what dangerous road users should expect
them to do. E.g. pedestrians are advised to wear something white at
night, but drivers need to see them in time to avoid them even if
they're matt black from top to toe.

So no matter how stupid other road users are, it's always the vehicle
driver's fault?

Not always, no. The point is you do everything you can to avoid a
collision, regardless of whose fault it would be. If someone comes out
of a side turning in front of you you don't keep going, thinking, "oh,
well, it won't be my fault I hit him." You jam on all the brakes
and/or swerve to try to miss the idiot.

Yes, *everyone* on the road should drive/walk/cycle defensively, but this
should be on a "best endeavours" basis: if an accident still occurs, the
fault lies with the person who cocked up, not with the driver of the vehicle
who had priority.

Yes, but best endeavours means looking even when you're sure no-one
should be there.

Have you never started to move into the middle lane on the motorway
just as someone else does the same from the other side?

Colin McKenzie